Brief Bio: Cordelia Anderson, MA
Since 1976 Cordelia Anderson has worked to prevent harm & promote healthy development. She’s counseled sex offenders, survivors, prostituted women and families of missing & murdered children. Beginning at the Program in Human Sexuality, then moving in 1977 to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office where she worked as a child advocate she and developed one of the first Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Programs later bringing the program to Illusion Theater. In 1992, she founded Sensibilities Prevention Consultation, based in Minneapolis, where she works with a wide variety of organizations including MN Coalition Against Sexual Assault, National Childrens Advocacy Center and Sexual Health and Responsibility Program (SHARP) at Kenwood Therapy Center.
Cordelia’s conducted over 2,000 presentations nationally and internationally on topics including: prevention of child sexual abuse/exploitation, impact of pornography, normalization of sexual harm, promotion of sexual health, bullying/cyber-bullying, impact of pornography, restorative justice, compassion fatigue and bringing activism into our work. She’s been the lead expert consultant on two statewide mass media efforts: Project Abuse which won an Emmy in 1984 and You’re the One Who Can Make the Peace. She’s on the Board of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, and is the founder and immediate past president of the National Coalition for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse & Exploitation. She is the recipient of various awards including 2006 Outstanding Professional Award from American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children (APSAC). Cordelia consults with programs locally and nationally and appeared on a variety of news and talk shows including Oprah.
From 1980 until 1993, Cordelia was the Director of the Prevention Program at Illusion Theater. Before moving to Illusion Theater in 1980, she worked at the Hennepin County Attorney's Office where she specialized in working with child victims. There she coordinated the original Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Project and developed the model and concept of the "Touch Continuum." She co-authored TOUCH and six other prevention education plays with Illusion Theater. She was a founding member of Association for Sexual Abuse Professionals (ASAP). For 16 years, Cordelia also counseled sex offenders and adult survivors of abuse, prostituted females, and taught sexuality. She has an M.A. in Human Development with an emphasis in sexuality and violence; a Bachelor of Elected Studies; and a Criminal Justice Certificate from the University of Minnesota.
Cordelia Anderson operates her own training and consultation business based in Minneapolis, MN. Ms. Anderson has nearly 35 years of experience in prevention - promoting healthy development and preventing harmful behaviors. She is an advocate for primary prevention and social change. Ms. Anderson’s conducted over 2,000 training’s nationwide & internationally on a range of social issues such as: child sexual abuse/exploitation prevention, normalization of sexual harm, pornography, Internet & other technology safety, restorative practices/circles, touch continuum, positive youth development, sexuality, bullying/harassment/violence prevention and self-care/compassion fatigue.
Examples of Former Sensibilities Consultations:
· National Center for Missing & Exploited Children - to advise NCMEC’s internal prevention strategic plan and to develop stronger ties with related prevention efforts. A resulting prevention advisory committee later evolved into the National Coalition to Prevent Child Sexual Exploitation.
· Center for Disease Control, Injury and Violence Prevention ProgramundefinedYouth Serving Organizations prevention Practices
· Boy Scouts of America, Member Expert Advisory Board on Youth Protection; Moderator Leader Training on Youth Protection Video Training
· St. Paul Public Schools - Sexual Violence Prevention Grant, Consultant & Trainer, K-12 schools and district policy.
· MN Dept. Human Services – Writer, “Talking About It: Prevention & Intervention of Sexual Violence in Schools”
- MN Dept. of Education - Writer, "Restorative Measures" & training on restorative justice/circles; consulted on a statewide plan on violence prevention
· Minneapolis Public Schools - Restorative Justice Project: Consultant & Training restorative justice and Circles
· MN Association of Alternative School Programs – Lead Trainer/Restorative Justice/Circle Dialogue
· Make the Peace Mass Media Campaign: MN Dept. Children Families and Learning / Lynch Jarvis and Jones –Directed Community Outreach & Violence Prevention Consultant for the statewide multi-media effort.
· Writer – “Talk and Listen” & “You’re the One” booklets for adults and children on being peacemakers
· Gold Pitt Productions – On-screen expert and narrator for Child Sexual Abuse Prevention films – A View from the Shadows
· Hazelden - Co-creator of "It's Not Okay To Bully" video for children K-3
· MN Children’s Trust Funds: Consult, develop and train on Keeping Sports Safe and Fun
· National Alliance of Youth Sports – Consulted on the development of a national Child Protection Program for youth sports organizations nationwide.